What are the Tennessee Property Crimes
Memphis Theft and Fraud Lawyer
WHEN YOU THINK OF A PROPERTY CRIME THINK OF TAKING AND/OR DAMAGING PROPERTY.
Property crimes in Tennessee can be summed up by the word “theft”. Property crimes include, among many other crimes, burglary, theft, motor vehicle theft, arson, shoplifting, and vandalism. In most cases, a property crime is a crime aimed to obtain money, property, or some other benefit. Because of this, many property crimes involve force, or the threat of force, like in cases or robbery.
Like violent crimes, property crimes in Tennessee have a victim and often require restitution, or compensation for loss. In Tennessee, theft offenses are classified according to the value of the property involved in the offense, where the property was taken, and whether or not force or the threat of force was used. Let’s take a closer look at each level of theft offense in Tennessee, beginning with misdemeanor theft, commonly referred to as petty theft.
– Class A Misdemeanor Theft
o If the value of property stolen is less than $1,000, the punishment will be a Class A Misdemeanor theft with jail time of no more than 11 months and 29 days and a fine of no more than $2,500.
– Class E Felony Theft
o If the value of the property is more than $1,000 but less than $2,500. Punishment includes minimum jail time of one year but not more than six years and a fine of no more than $3000.
– Class D Felony theft
o If the value of property is between $2,500 and $10,000, your punishment can be 2 to 12 years of jail time and a fine up to $5,000.
– Class C Felony Theft
o When the value of property is between $10,000 and $60,000, punishment will include jail time of 3 to 15 years and a fine up to $10,000.
– Class B Felony Theft
o For any property crimes of $60,000 to $250,000, you can be looking at jail time of 8 to 30 years and a fine up to $25,000!
– Class A Felony Theft
o If the value of property is more than $250,000, you could face jail time in excess of 30 years.
Have you been charged with a property crime in Tennnessee?
If you have been charged, we can help. Give us a call at 901-322-8711 to find out how our criminal defense team can help defend you with your Tennessee property crime charges.
In order to properly defend yourself against a Tennessee property crime charge, the legal team at Lenagar & Barnes PLLC is willing to put in all the time and effort needed to track down the facts. Without a confession from a suspect or multiple eye witnesses to a property crime, it is difficult to pin any person with a property crime. With all of the facts obtained and the commitment from your legal team at Lenagar & Barnes, we will create a strong defense for your property crime charge.
Defense Against Theft Charges
A property theft crime can range from petty theft to millions of dollars. In Tennessee, there are multiple levels of charges for property crimes based on the dollar value of the property stolen as well as if force was used to commit the crime. Between the dollar value and the force used, a property crime can range from a misdemeanor to a felony.
At Lenagar & Barnes, we can defend you against the many different types of Tennessee property crimes
1. Theft – Theft consists of unlawfully taking another person’s property or services with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of their property or service.
2. Burglary – Also known as breaking and entering, burglary is the unlawful entry into a building or person’s residence for the purpose of committing a crime, which the crime most often being theft. Of the many types of property crimes, this is one of the more serious charges.
3. Arson – This involves any intentional setting of a fire or attempting to set fire. Even if you burn your own property, it can be considered arson, such as in the cases of insurance fraud.
4. Vandalism – The willful destruction or damage of a person’s property is also considered a property crime, as you are depriving the owner of their property. This happens millions of times each year, and can include such actions as knocking over mailboxes, throwing eggs, graffiti, or breaking windows.
Whatever the charge, we are here to help.
Lenagar & Barnes is at your service
Call us today at 901-322-8711 for your free consultation. We can begin to discuss your case over the
phone, and then have you come in to further discuss face to face. We can educate you on the charges
you are facing, and with our well-prepared defense, protect you from your property crime charges.